Daniel Myers Named 15th University President

Daniel Myers Misericordia University President

Kailene Nye, Editor-in-Chief

The Board of Trustees announced that Daniel J. Myers, Ph.D will serve as the university’s 15th president as of July 1.

“Dr. Myers brings extensive experience in the areas of planning, new program development, community engagement, faculty development, enrollment management, fundraising, and diversity and inclusion,” said Dr. Deborah Smith-Mileski, chair of the Board of Trustees. “His strategic vision and administrative experience will serve this university well into our institution’s next century.”

Myers earned a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in higher education and student affairs from Ohio State University before completing a master’s and doctorate in sociology at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He is a well-known expert in the study of collective behavior and social movements. Meyer is currently professor and chairperson of sociology at American University in Washington, D.C.

He has also published books and articles primarily focused on protest and unrest, the diffusion of social phenomena, social psychology, and urban politics. He has won awards for both his research and teaching.

Myers previously served as provost at American and Marquette Universities, and spent 17 years at the University of Notre Dame serving as vice president and associate provost for Faculty Affairs, Associate Dean in the College of Arts and Letters, and as chair of the Department of Sociology. Myers has also been the director of Faculty Development and Research in the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies and founded and directed the Center for the Study of Social Movements.

Myers said he looks forward to working with the campus community, especially the students. He said hearing them speak about the university during the interview process stuck with him.

“I had a chance to meet a few students during the interview process, and the way they talked about their experience at MU was truly impressive. Their testimony about the commitment to the charisms and mission of Misericordia were powerful, meaningful, and resonated deeply with me,” Myers said.

Myers said he welcomes the opportunity to contribute to this experience and work under the university’s core values.

“I am very excited to join the Misericordia community of faculty, staff, and especially students,” he said. “Even though the pandemic has interfered with the student experience, I could tell that the students felt a strong sense of connection to Misericordia and its values. I can’t wait to become part of that vibe and join in the work the university does for and with you.”