The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Misericordia University celebrates Black History Month

A list of events prepared for Black History Month with times and descriptions.

The month of February is dedicated to various specific groups, but one of the most prominent is the celebration of Black History within the United States and worldwide. Misericordia University’s mission is to work towards being as inclusive and diverse as possible. Throughout February, the diversity office is working with the Black Student Union to provide many social events to promote the mission of acknowledgment and historical context to celebrate inclusion. 

While some events have already transpired, there are still plenty of chances to get involved. Below is a list of past and future events that Misericordia University will be holding. Be sure to stop by one, or all, and enjoy good company.

February 1st | Name That Tune: Back to the 90s

Description: Students will test their musical knowledge in different genres as they race against the clock to see who is the best at naming that tune.

February 6th | Film Screening: “The 13th”

Description: A documentary in which scholars, activists, and politicians analyze and discuss the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom.

February 8th | Food for the SOUL: Cooking Class

Description: Students will make a traditional southern dish, learn the history behind it, and have the opportunity to try soul food from local restaurants.

February 13th | Black History Jeopardy

Description: A twist on a classic game, as students dive into the realm of Jeopardy but with a focus on various topics on Black History.

February 15th| Traditional Afro-Dance Class

Time: 6:30 – 7:30 pm; Location: Anderson Center Aerobic Room

Description: Dance your heart out while learning traditional African dances from our special guests from Newave Dance Co.

February 20th | The “Cafe Du Monde” Experience

Time: 11 – 1:30 pm; Location: Archie’s (Henry Student Lounge)

Description: Get a taste of this New Orleans classic with our version of “Cafe Du Monde”. Try their famous beignets and cafe au lait as you sink into the vibes of the Big Easy.

February 22nd | Food for the SOUL: Cooking Class

Time: 6 – 8 pm; Location: MacDowell Hall, Room 104

Registration is Required!

February 29th | BHM Bingo Night

Time: 8:30 – 10 pm; Location: Insalaco Hall, Room 218-219

Description: Finishing up Black History Month with some bingo! Test your luck, and win some great prizes, as we celebrate a great month of Black History!