The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Staying healthy in the New Year

Students have been dropping like flies since returning to school after winter break. With the cold and warm weather intermingling and students back together, close together, students have been catching colds, the flu, and other viruses. The stomach flu has been ravaging campus in the past few weeks.

What are ways that we can stay healthy during the end of winter entering the spring? It can be difficult staying away from people who are sick when students show up to class, but by washing one’s hands, staying hydrated, and eating healthy, one can boost their immune systems and help themselves and others. Other ways to stay healthy include getting Vitamin D when the sun comes out, getting the right amount of sleep for both mind and body, and trying to keep stress levels low. When stress levels are high, the body works overtime trying to keep up, making it difficult to fight off viruses.

Vaccinations against viruses such as the flu and COVID-19 are quite effective in building the immune system’s defenses and preventing the spread of illness. The flu vaccine protects your body from the possible flu outbreaks of the season, giving your body antibodies to try and protect itself. Though the vaccination, like all science, does not cause fool-proof immunity, the measure can prevent a worsening of the illness, and help the body fight it off quicker. The same goes for the COVID vaccines. Getting the vaccination is also effective in preventing the spread of disease to the immunocompromised, however, the matter of vaccination is ultimately the individual’s choice.

In the case of treating sickness, rest and taking pains to avoid overworking is just as important as taking the right medicine to fight off whatever sickness knocks on the door. It is imperative to allow the body to recoup and relax so it can focus on getting bacteria and viruses out of the system. Not resting means the individual runs the risk of the illness getting worse, or letting it linger for longer than it needs to.

Lastly, it is said the best form of medicine is prevention, so keeping your room and personal space clean is something that not only helps protect you from germs, but it is one less thing to worry about if you do get sick. Throwing away trash and keeping your desk clean clears the mind and protects you from germs.

Students are encouraged to use campus resources such as the health center, located behind the Anderson Sports Center, and over-the-counter medication offered at the campus bookstore in case of illness and for more information.