Misericordia Athletics in Full Swing

Abigail Blockus, Reporter

Misericordia University winter athletics are in full swing, here’s a brief rundown of our Cougars!

The men’s basketball team is 11-10 overall with a 6-6 record in the MAC Freedom conference. Their recent game against DeSales on Saturday, February 4th handed DeSales their first conference loss of the season with a big win of 73-65. Some key players include sophomore Kevin Lazdowksy who put up 17 points for the Cougars, as well as senior Nick Hornung and senior Joseph Baldachino who put up 14 points each. Misericordia Men’s Basketball is ranked 4th overall in the MAC Freedom.

On the women’s side, the Lady Cougars fell to DeSales 67-51 on Saturday, February 4th, falling to a 15-6 record, 8-4 in the MAC Freedom. During this game, the Cougars were led by junior Skylar Dowling who scored 13 points, followed by graduate student Melina Santacroce and senior Gianna Delfino who both put up 8 points. The Lady Cougars sit at 3rd overall in the MAC Freedom.

The Misericordia Men’s swim team recently finished its regular season on January 28th, falling right in the middle of a tri-match handing Albright a 192-47 loss, but falling to Messiah 164-97. The men wrapped up their season with a winning 7-3 record and will compete in the MAC Championships on February 9th – 12th.

The Women’s swim team wrapped up their regular season with a splash. In a tri-match against Messiah and Albright, the Lady Cougars came out on top with 134-128 and 186-52 wins respectively, allowing them to cap off their first ever perfect regular season in school history. The ladies will also be competing in the MAC Championships this upcoming weekend where they are picked to finish 3rd according to pre-season polls.

The Men and Women’s track and field teams have also been seeing some indoor pre-regular season competition, traveling across the Mid Atlantic region to compete.

With the winter sport season hitting its peak, MU hopes to see lots of success from both men and women athletes.