McAuley Market Opens in New Location and Holds Drive During MLK Week

McAuley Market with new freezer and shelving.

Brenna Smith, Reporter

McAuley Market offers new way for students to shop on campus.

The market opened in January 2019 and recently moved from the Henry Lounge to Room 104 in McAuley/Marsh Hall.

To get items from the market, students can log into  myMU and search “McAuley Market online order form” where they can click on specific items.  Those items can then be picked up in The Office of Mission, Ministry, and Service between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Students have two days to pick up their order after they have been contacted that it is ready. The market is also available to faculty/staff.

Several food and hygiene items can be ordered. Some examples are microwavable meals, macaroni and cheese, granola bars, sports drinks, coffee, shampoo, razors, feminine products, toothpaste, dish and laundry detergent, tissues, and toilet paper.

Students are allowed to go to The Office of Mission, Ministry, and Service, and ask for the key to the market to see available options. Students can also put specific brand items on their order form and members of the McAuley Market will try their best to acquire those items. The limit is one bag of items per person and orders will be completed within a week.

“There is a statistic that notes that around 40% of college students will experience some level of food insecurity, either momentarily or on a longstanding basis throughout their education,” said Krista Kuntzman, coordinator of Service and Social Justice at The Office of Mission, Ministry, and Service. “I want the market to be an agent of diminishing stigma that comes with allowing ourselves to access what we need.”

The market has been upgraded with a freezer and additional shelving with the help of an $8,000 grant from King’s College,  allowing it to expand its selections for students and faculty.

The McAuley Market recently had a drive for MLK week, deemed a success by Kuntzman.

The drive was run by Aliah McPhaul, Manager of Diversity and Inclusion, and Kas Williams, AVP for Mission and Institutional Diversity, from the Mission Integration and Institutional Diversity Office in Banks. They are also in charge of the Black Student Union, the GSA, and the Multicultural Club.

“It was wonderful of Kas and Aliah to create a drive during MLK week. Their office continues to inspire me with what they do,” Kuntzman said. “The drive went well, and something I appreciate is that Aliah reached out to me to personally to see what was needed in the market rather than hosting an open drive.

“I am hoping that the knowledge of the market continues to grow and that our community knows that it is here for them if they need it,” Kuntzman added.