Misericordia Athletes Reach Gold, Take Heartbreaking Losses

Gannon DeFrain sets the ball during a match against Elmira, from Misericordia Athletics

Kobe Martin, Reporter

Misericordia athletes were in action all across Pennsylvania over the last few weeks.

The indoor track and field team took action at the Alvernia Invitational on Feb. 11.

The women’s team had wins with sophomore Casey Allen taking home first place in high jump, graduate student Brenna Karnish winning the shot put and senior Sonialys Badillo finishing second at the 400m while senior Amber Hackenberg took third.

On the men’s side, junior Matthieu Brunelle won the long jump and finished third in the triple jump.

The men’s volleyball had a dual match in the Anderson Center on Feb. 11, winning the first match, 3-0, against Immaculata University but losing, 2-3, to New Paltz in the second match.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams traveled to Doylestown on Feb. 11 to face the Delaware Valley Aggies. Both teams finished short as the women lost, 57-56, while the men lost, 63-60.

The men and women’s swim teams spent four days from Feb. 9-12 in York County for the MAC championships where the women’s team finished third overall.

First-year swimmer Tamsin Formon won gold in the 500-yard freestyle and the 400-yard individual medley. Senior Camryn Hubric won gold for a third straight year in the 50 yard freestyle and sophomore Breanna Fluhr, first-year swimmer Lindsey Rice, junior Jennifer Scott and senior Camryn Hubric won gold in the 200-yard medley relay.

The men’s team would finish fifth overall with senior Jonus Gurksi capturing gold in the 400-yard individual medley.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams hit the road once again on Feb. 14, this time to Williamsport where they took on the Lycoming Warriors. The women were victorious, 50-44, while the men lost an 86-79 heartbreaker in overtime.

The men’s volleyball team went to Elmira College on Feb. 15 and were swept, 3-0.