Misericordia Swim Team Off to a Good Start

Anderson Pool at Misericordia University

Gabe Bunn, Reporter

Misericordia men’s and women’s swim teams started their seasons in late October and have been winning and setting records along the way.

The men’s team opened the season 3-2 with losses coming from Arcadia and Scranton. Jonus Gurski won the 50 backstroke and also set a pool record with a time of 1:56.38 in the 200 individual medley against Scranton and Moravian.

At this tri-meet, Misericordia beat Moravian University, 181-21. but lost to The University of Scranton, 134-127.

With returning senior Jonus Gurski, swimming in his fourth consecutive year at Misericordia, leading the way, the team is looking to go into the Cougar Splash Invitational and come out with more victories to get back in the win column. Gurski was also named MAC swimmer of the week and the team hopes he can stay hot to help lead wins in the upcoming meets.

Along with Gurski, the team also has fifth-year graduate student Kacey Thievon, who swims freestyle for the Cougars. The team has been off to a decent start to begin the year, but needs to do well at the invitational to come out with a good record heading into winter break.

Following the invitational on Nov. 18 and 19, both teams will not return to the pool until Jan. 13 when they travel to Scranton to take on Marywood University.

The women’s swim team has gotten off to a great start this year, currently sitting undefeated at 5-0, and hoping to keep the win streak alive at the invitational.

Tamsin Formon, a first-year swimmer out of Gillette, New Jersey was also named MAC swimmer of the week. She swims freestyle and individual medley.

Returning senior Camryn Hubric, who swims freestyle and backstroke, has won the 50-yard free individual MAC championship two years in a row and hopes to keep her streak alive.

With the team’s combination of returning leadership and the potential of younger swimmers, the Lady Cougars can make a name for themselves this year if they keep up their winning momentum.

At its last meet between Scranton and Moravian, the women’s team swept the opposition winning, 136-125, against Scranton and posting a 219-11 beatdown against Moravian University. The team has gotten off to a better start than the men’s team but, with both teams having winning seasons so far, they hope to stay focused.

Carnegie Mellon University is ranked number one in the region and is also ranked in the top 15 nationally in men and women’s swimming.

This means that both Misericordia teams have their work cut out for them in the region if they want to have a chance at being number one in the region. Carnegie Mellon has been nationally ranked every year since 2017. The last team in the MAC to be ranked in the top 10 in the region was Stevens Institute of Technology’s men’s team in 2020 when it finished in 10th place in the Northeast-South region.

In the MAC, Misericordia men’s team has never won a MAC championship before but was runner up in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, marking the only time the men’s team has been in the MAC championship.

The women’s team won once, in 2009 against Albright College, but was runner up in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2020. With this team looking as good as it has been in years prior, it has a good shot at winning it all this year with standout star Camryn Hubric.