Sexual Assault Awareness Month highlighted

Brenna Smith, Reporter

Misericordia has been putting on events for Sexual Assault Awareness Month and, on April 4, students were asked to wear teal all day to show their support.

Students were encouraged to take selfies with their friends and DM and tag @mucampuslife to be entered into a raffle for a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card. The S.A.R.T (Sexual Assault Response Team) paired with P.H.R.E.E. (Promoting Healthy Relationships through Education and Empowerment) for Cougars for Consent April 10-14 in Banks where students could learn about S.A.R.T.

The Misericordia baseball team had a “Teal Out” baseball game on April 11. Teal Misericordia Sexual Assault Awareness t-shirts were sold for $10 in Banks throughout the week and at the game. All of the profit went to the Victims Resource Center in Wilkes-Barre. The “Teal Out” was presented by P.H.R.E.E.

Throughout the week, a raffle table offered a chance to win baskets and students could sign a pledge to not be a bystander to sexual assault. T-shirts were sold there, as well, with proceeds benefiting Victims Resource Center. There were colorful markers to sign the pledge, and cupcakes and waters were offered at the pledge table, as well. The pledge currently hangs on a wall in Banks.

Events on April 24 and 25 were sponsored by S.A.R.T. and P.H.R.E.E. where students made posters to stand against sexual assault. The most creative poster won a Chick-fil-A gift card. Poster boards, markers and ideas were supplied to students. The posters were made to support the final event which took place on April 26 in the Amphitheatre where the Victims Resource Center held its annual Sexual Assault Awareness Rally. The event ended with the “Teal Pow*er Throw” and students wore jeans and white t-shirts to show their support.