Mis Movie Critic: ‘How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days’

Sarah Badorf, Web Editor

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” is one of my favorite rom coms.

I chose How to “Lose a Guy in 10 Days” to give everyone an idea of the types of movies I will review this semester. I started with “The Parent Trap” and now this. To a lot of ladies out there, this is a No. 1 favorite rom com.

The film was released in 2003, starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. You may have seen Kate Hudson in “Almost Famous,” “Fool’s Gold” or “Bride Wars.” Films you can find Matthew McConaughey in include “Magic Mike” “Dallas Buyers Club” and “Mud.”

It’s easy for the audience to love a film whenever it has good talent. Not only does this movie include great talent but the plot is organized and easy to follow. When people ask me what I’d change about a movie, I usually have a hard time thinking of anything. However, I can think of only one thing I’d change about this movie.

I would change the predictability at the end of the movie. Almost all rom coms end the same way; the two lead characters end up together, despite the conflict they face. As a viewer, I want Andie (Kate Hudson’s character) and Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey’s character) to be together in the end; however, the film would have stood out even more if the ending wasn’t like every other rom com.

Something I love about the film is the idea of Andie and Ben not realizing  both have an ulterior motive they haven’t picked up on yet. Another thing I enjoy about this film is how true it is to the category of a rom com. A lot of times, newer rom coms focus on the romantics rather than both the romantics and the comedy. I find this movie to actually be funny. Andie Anderson takes her role as the crazy, overbearing girlfriend seriously, which makes this film entertaining and funny at the same time.

My favorite scene is when Andie shows up at Ben’s apartment uninvited while he and his friends are having a poker night. In this scene, she’s doing the worst things a guy could ask for in his current girlfriend. She’s yelling out loud which cards each person has and even forces Ben to blow his nose while she holds a tissue for him. 

Imbd rates this movie a 6.4/10, which caught me by surprise. A lot of people characterized this film as a “romantic class,” “a very funny film,” “great romantic comedy, the best I’ve seen in a while.” However, other people said things like, “one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen” and “how to lose an audience in 10 minutes.” However, looking at the reviews, I found there to be more positive comments than negative which makes me still wonder why the film got a 6.4/10.

I’m hoping that, by reading my column, you are inspired to either rewatch this film or watch it for the first time because this movie exceeds my expectations of a rom com.