Fashion Digest: Stylin’ and Profilin’

Lena+Williams+

Lena Williams

Lena Williams, Columnist

This week I am writing this article for all of you shoe lovers. Just like the many other fashionistas and fashionistos of this world, I am a firm believer that you can never have too many shoes. Throughout this year, sneakers have been a huge trend. Most people think that sneakers are only for males and athletic purposes, but that is not the case.

In the fashion world, we refer to some sneakers as “fashion sneakers.” For the most part, “fashion sneakers” are made by high-end fashion designers, but there are a few sneakers that you can wear that will not empty your pockets and you can still look chic.

First, let’s talk about the benefits of wearing sneakers. Next to slippers, they may be the most comfortable shoes. Sneakers also provide support for your feet and cause less pressure on your legs – great to have if we’re running late for class.

Believe it or not, sneakers can be versatile, too. If you style your outfit correctly, you can wear sneakers with just about anything, attaining a casual-chic look. Furthermore, most sneakers are not made to be worn during specific seasons, unlike Uggs, which, if your wear them in the summer, will leave your tootsies hot and sweaty.

Now if you are still not sure which kicks to incorporate into your wardrobe, I have a few examples. The first shoe that I want to bring to your attention is the Puma Suede Classic shoes. The key word is “classic,” so that tells you right there that these shoes are retro. They were released in 1968, and they have worn by pop culture celebs. These shoes are my personal favorite, and I recently  bought a pair! Now they are not for everyone because they have a more boyish and relaxed look, but if you love vintage and urban clothing, these shoes are definitely for you.

My next recommendation are Converse sneakers. Just about everyone knows about Converses and there are many names that these shoes have.

I wanted to talk about these shoes because of how versatile they are. Like I said before, many people have a misconception of sneakers and do not realize what they can be worn with. For example, I wear my white high-top Chuck Taylor’s with dresses and skirts. Converse kicks can change the whole vibe of a whole outfit.

As I do in every article, I want to encourage you to step out of your clothing comfort zone. As college students, we want comfort, but we should look cool too.