Sports Recap

Michelle Torzilli in action during a game, photo via Misericordia Athletics

Abby Blockus, Editor in Chief

While the semester may be winding down, Misericordia athletes are still pushing onward.

The men’s baseball team has climbed its way to 15th in the nation according to the Division III national rankings. Coming off wins against Lycoming, Wilkes, and FDU-Florham, the Cougars look to continue their 7-game winning streak.

Women’s softball has seen great success as well as the Lady Cougars currently hold the number one spot in MAC Freedom Conference. Key wins against Wilkes and King’s have allowed them to stay at the top of the rankings, with only a few weeks left of play. The team hopes to hold down the conference and cap off a great season.

Men’s lacrosse sits fourth in the MAC Freedom rankings and punched its ticket to the postseason with a win against Delaware Valley. Graduate student Robert Wagner scored his 300th career goal in a game against Wilkes, making him a key player on the Cougars’ roster. Currently 8-7, the men look to continue their winning ways and bring their best to the postseason.

The women’s lacrosse team sits in third in the MAC Freedom with an 8-7 record. In similar fashion to the men’s team, a win against Delaware Valley secured the ladies a spot in postseason play. Senior Madelyn Uetz was recently named MAC Freedom Defensive Player of the Week. A goalie, Uetz had 10 saves against Wilkes and four against Delaware Valley, making her a key component to the Cougars’ postseason berth.

The track and field teams competed in the Misericordia Invitational on April 21 with the women’s team garnering 12 individual wins. Sonialys Badillo (100m, 200m), Brenna Karnish (hammer, shot put), and Casey Allen (400m, high jump) each had two wins while Kristin Gallagher (800m), Sarah Devries (1500m), Grace Gallagher (10,000m), Lauren Fritzsch (400m hurdles), Alexandra Snyder (javelin) and Julia Lazo (pole vault) all had wins to make Misericordia a dominant force at the meet.

On the men’s side, Jarod Cipranio had a win in the 100m dash. The men’s team saw second place finishes in Shakei Smith (400m), Stephen Gihr (hammer, shot put), Mitchell Watt (javelin), Matthieu Brunelle (long jump, and Jarod Cipranio (200m).

The men’s volleyball team capped off a competitive season on April 13, however, its season came to an end with a 3-0 loss against Stevens in the MAC semi-finals. The team finished 15-22 overall.