Misericordia University to Launch Ice Hockey Team in Fall 2024

Abby Blockus, Editor in Chief

In fall 2024, current and prospective students at Misericordia will have an opportunity to get on the ice with the university’s ice hockey team.

The idea of adding additional athletic teams came up approximately a year ago when President Dan Myers came to the university. Misericordia was looking to not only increase enrollment, but also help out the Mid Atlantic Conference, in which university athletic teams compete.

“We looked at a few sports that would not only help us enrollment-wise, but would also help our conference,” said Chuck Edkins, athletic director. “The MAC conference sponsors men and women’s ice hockey, as well as men and women’s wrestling. We don’t currently have either of those, so [it will] not only help with enrollment, but also the conference with additional school sports.” 

Preparations have already begun for an ice hockey team. Misericordia looks to bring a head coach on board before the start of the fall to give that person some experience at the university before taking on a full season of coaching.

This addition will also help to expand recruitment, tapping into the New England area as well as southern states. Administration is hoping to expand the Misericordia family across the country.

The ice hockey team will join the MAC conference alongside six other schools, adding more competition to the mix.

Interest in the ice hockey team has already begun to grow among students.

“I’ve already had some interest from current students who played high school hockey that are already here and who will be here in the fall of 2024,” said Edkins.

The team will practice and play its games at the Coal Street complex in Wilkes-Barre alongside Wilkes University. The Cougars will also have the opportunity to practice and play at Mohegan Sun Arena, home of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, the AHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In addition to the ice hockey team, an athletic dome set to be constructed on campus will also bring in more funds for the university, allowing the school to sponsor more events for not only university students, but also for the Dallas community.

In the past, Misericordia has not been able to sponsor playoff basketball games for high schoolers, but with the addition of the dome, the Anderson Center will be less crowded.