Cougars Wrap Up Winter Seasons, Launch Spring Seasons

Derrick Vosburg at bat

Abby Blockus, Editor in Chief

Having wrapped up their winter sports season, the Misericordia Cougars have begun competition for the spring season.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

The men’s basketball team ended its season with a heartbreaking 69-62 loss in the first round of the MAC Freedom Championships against Stevens Institute of Technology on Feb. 20. The Cougars were led by Kevin Lazdowksy who put up 22 points, followed by Derek Smith who added 15. Lazdowsky (first team) as well as Joseph Baldachino (honorable mention) are among athletes named to the All-MAC Freedom team.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The women’s basketball team fell, 66-55, in the semifinal round of the MAC Freedom Championships against Stevens on Feb. 22. The Cougars were led by Meaghan McCaffry who scored a career-high 28 points, followed by Gianna Delfino who added 11 points, as well as Alyssa Bondi who put up 10.  Bondi (first team), Delfino (honorable mention) and Melina Santacroce (second team) are among athletes named to the All-MAC Freedom team.

MEN’S SWIMMING

Three members of the men’s swimming team were named to the 2022-2023 Academic All-District Team – Christopher Farrell, Jonus Gurski, and Benjamin Sorrentino. 

WOMEN’S SWIMMING

On the women’s side, four athletes were named – Analiese Hargreaves, Camryn Hubric, Breanna Fluhr and Jennifer Scott. 

Student-athletes must be a starter or key reserve on their team, as well as carry a minimum grade-point average of 3.5 to qualify for nomination.

TRACK & FIELD

The Misericordia track and field teams wrapped up their indoor competitions, the women’s team finishing in second place at the regional competition on March 4. Sarah Wagner won the long jump for the Cougars, Brenna Karnish came in second for the weight throw, qualifying for the NCAA championships where she finished 14th overall on March 10.

The men’s track and field team also wrapped up indoor competition with athletes placing in the regional competition. Stephen Rowley placed fifth in the 5000m while Matthieu Brunelle was fifth in the triple jump. Both teams are gearing up for a competitive outdoor season.

MEN’S LACROSSE

The men’s lacrosse team opened its season on Feb. 25 against Sage College. On March 1, the Cougars defeated Susquehanna, 13-12, in overtime.  Kyle Vandenberg led the way with five goals, followed by Connor Bevan who had four. On March 4, the team fell, 19-12, to Randolph-Macon and 15-12 to Bridgewater. The men’s team opens league play April 1 against King’s College.

BASEBALL

The baseball team currently holds a 10-3 record. Over spring break, the Cougars traveled to Florida where they played in the Snowbird Classic. With a crushing 15-1 win against Swarthmore College, the Cougars had a perfect trip. The men’s team recently had their conference opener, defeating King’s College, 16-0, on March 12. The Cougars were led by Brady Madden who had three hits and four RBI alongside Brock Bollinger who had three hits and three runs. Pitcher Joe Valenti struck out 10 over six innings to help the Cougars score a win.

SOFTBALL

Also in Florida was the softball team, which defeated Keyon, 7-0, but fell to St. Benedict, 7-0. Against Keyon, pitcher Alexa McHugh struck out eight and allowed only one hit over five innings, helping the Cougars seal a win. McHugh had three RBI, Gianna Russo and Emma Griffin both scored home runs, and Gianna Foreman had two hits. To end the Florida trip, Misericordia fell, 13-0, to Rochester but rallied to defeat Husson, 5-3, on a home run by Kaitlin Redling and two hits by Foreman. The ladies are back in Pennsylvania and will face York College next.

MEN’S VOLLEYBALL

The men’s volleyball team suffered recent 3-0 losses to Stevens and Juniata. The Cougars rallied shortly after with a 3-1 against St. Elizabeth on March 1 on 16 kills by Logan Romeika and 15 by Jackson Fehnel. Austin Hand had 11 kills, three aces, and two blocks, Gannon DeFrain had a total of 37 assists and 15 digs to help secure the win for the Cougars. The men swept a tri-match against Eastern and Hood on March 4, with Anthony DePalma’s 15 kills and three blocks while Zane Martin and Fehnel both had eight kills. They won against Hood on a forfeit. The Cougars then dropped a tri-match on March 10 against Stevens and Wentworth, but hoped to rally back on March 15 against Arcadia.