Baseball Players Better Skills, Bond in Offseason

Zachary Pippen, Reporter

Joe Cummings, sophomore sports management major, works on his throwing skills before practice to warm up.(Zachary Pippin)

Baseball players are trying to improve their skills and grow bonds with each other despite pandemic restrictions on play.

“It’s positive that we are able to do this,” Pete Egbert, the team’s head coach, said.

A typical week for players consists of full team practices, but every other day coaches schedule split practices based upon students’ schedules.

No more than 10 people are allowed in the dugout at one time due to new guidelines. Others must remain outside to allow for better social distancing. Masks are required for everyone, but players may temporarily pull them down as needed during practice.

Since the baseball team has smaller numbers, Egbert said it is a lot easier to have full team practices and still be spread out and maintain social distancing.

Austin Miles, senior accounting major, throws a long toss to warm up his arm before practice.
(Zachary Pippin)

Several players haven’t played since March, and they say it has been good to get back in the groove and work on the basics. Players and coaches also worked together over Zoom to strengthen leaders for the upcoming season.

“It’s really become a tight knit community. We all have to look after each other,” Egbert said. “It’s about looking after one another and having the mindset to always follow the rules.”

He said losing the season last semester was hard on the whole team because they missed the opportunity to build relationships and chemistry with one another on and off the field. They are using this offseason to make up for that lost time.

One bonus this year is that players have more opportunities to focus on other things on campus. Students like Nick Reposa, sophomore business administration major and outfield pitcher on the team, now has the chance to work. He works for the marketing department writing for the university blog in his spare time.

“I have more time when I can just worry about getting things done now, instead of worrying about things later,” he said.

Sophomore chemistry major Eric Vosberg plays first base and practices defending bunts with a base runner. (Zachary Pippin)