The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Cougars Claim First Home Shutout

Another one for the record books: The  football team registered its home win verses Fairleigh Dickinson University – Florham last weekend.

The Cougars never trailed in the game, coming out on top 35-0.

Linebacker and sophomore business major Rob Hart was a big part of the win against FDU-Florham.

“I think this win just proves how hard our players and coaches work on a day-to-day basis. It all begins with the preparation and commitment we put in every week,” said Hart. “This win was a milestone, and I think it will give us momentum for the rest of the season.”

Tight end Tom Stelzer said he team’s effort in practice translated on to the field.

“I think that win meant a lot to our team. It all started with a fantastic week of practicing. Coach Ross challenged us to practice much harder then ever before. We rose to the challenge,” said Stelzer.

The Cougars now have a 1-2 record, one win away from being 500 for the first time in history.

“The outcome of Saturday’s game really started that Tuesday. Now after realizing how important those practices were we know what we have to do the rest of the season to be successful. We feel like we have the potential to play with every team in the conference as long as we prepare and practice the way we did last week. If we do that, good things should be in store for us,” said Stelzer.

Junior government, law, and national security major, Anthony Buffa thinks the hard practice was the secret to the win.

“Anyone could win in the game of football, but its all about the hard work and dedication you put in,” said Buffa. “I am so proud of this team and we are getting ready for the coming week. I have seen a lot of improvements with the team and how far we have come. We are going to surprise a lot of people this year.”