The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Lady Cougars Improve at MACs

The women’s track and field team is sprinting to the finish line – and breaking records.

The women came home with broken records and numerous awards after the Mid Atlantic Conference Championships and the Eastern Collegiate Atlantic Conference Championships,.

The Cougar’s made history by placing second in MACs sponsored by DeSales University and held at Lehigh University Feb. 23.

The team placed second out of 10 teams, earning 104 points throughout the day’s events.

During the 2012 season the women placed third and Head Coach Chris Wadas says he is proud of their achievements.

“I’m very happy,” he said.

With a resting period before MACs the women had ample time to ready their legs and prepare for victory.

First year Hilari Norris earned the “Rookie of the Year” title after placing first in the 60 meter hurdles and fifth in the 200 meter dash.

Junior Ashlee Ward added a first place finish in the high jump with teammates Anna Nole and Lindsey Stitzer placing fourth and seventh, respectively.

“Everyone is different when it comes to the meets so everyone had different ways of preparing, but everyone was motivated when it came down to MAC’s,” said sophomore Nole.

Nole was thrilled by the second place finish in MACs and she looks forward to more competitions with her team.

“Placing second out of 12 teams is an amazing feeling!” said Nole. “The team really pulled together and we had a great turnout.”

She said the team overcame obstacles throughout the season.

“Leaving the indoor season with a 2nd place finish is really going to help with our outdoor season,” Nole said. “I think everyone on the team is starting to realize how good we are.”

Shortly after the second place win at MACs, the women broke four more school records at the ECAC’s at the New Balance Armory in New York City March 2.

Ward finished third in the high jump, breaking a school record. She also earned All-ECAC for her accomplishments.

Senior Marina Orrson also added an MU record with a 5:02 minute mile. She finished fifth in the ECAC competition.

Senior Steph Grow and Norris added new school records in the high jump and hurdles, respectively.

One thing about track is that it never ends, says Wadas. He knows his team is prepared and ready for upcoming meets and the upcoming spring outdoor season.

“It’s going to be good for the kids,” Wadas said. “ When you’re that close and no one has ever been there before we hope that the kids get a little more excited about it.”

Nole says the team is confident after a great outcome in the winter season.

“The team is going to continue to train hard and hope for the best all season. I’m excited to see what happens,” said Nole.

[email protected]