The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Misericordia Honors Community Veterans

Misericordia University held a ceremony in Lemmond Theater to honor community veterans on November 4th.

This event featured patriotic performances from the MU Community Choir and the instrumental ensemble, speeches from state representatives and senators, and a special testimony from 99 year-old Willis Ide, a World War II veteran. Former state representative Dr. Karen Boback made an appearance, but did not come to the podium.

“So often, when we reflect upon history and war, we only see the big picture: What battles were fought, what countries were involved, and who were the victors.” Michael Cabell, state representative, said in an address to community veterans. “Your stories are the personal accounts that decided the outcome. Yours are the stories of individual heroism and valor and selflessness that are seldom told. Without question, the debt of gratitude we owe you is immeasurable.” He stressed the importance of reflecting on our freedoms and the sacrifices made for its continuity, and reminded the community to continue thanking our veterans not only on memorial day and veteran’s day, but every day. “We are truly blessed to live in a nation where every person regardless of gender, race, religion or creed, is afforded the opportunity to vote, to decide America’s fate and future. Every American citizen is born with certain inalienable rights…without the resolve of the dedicated men and women who were willing to fight and die for those ideals, many of our freedoms would no longer exist.”

Of the near 13 million people that call Pennsylvania home, over 1 million veterans live in various communities across the state as friends and family to those they fought for. “The men and women of our armed forces protect each and every one of us.” Lisa Baker, state senator, said in an address. “They protect the ideals of freedom that underpin the places we learn, where we work, where we worship and where we live.” She parted with a message to the audience, hoping that they would take the time to be with the veterans, “to learn about their experiences and to discover what motivated them to listen to their wisdom.”

The program also featured the “Missing Man at the Table”, set on stage by Dallas Boy Scout Troop 281, a performance of Taps by Dallas High School senior Joseph Miller, and a presentation of pins to the veterans. An expo followed the conclusion of the program, featuring many participants from all across Northeast Pennsylvania, including PA Wounded Warriors, the Heroes Hearthstone, and Geisinger Health System.

“A nation that forgets its defenders will soon be forgotten.” Calvin Coolidge was once quoted as saying, and those in Lemmond Theater certainly did not forget.