The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Accessibility across the Misericordia Campus

As the world continues to grow and adapt toward the needs of others, it has become a staple in conversations to acknowledge those who may live their lives with some type of disability. Many major facilities now have to abide by exclusive laws that work to protect those with disabilities, making work environments, or otherwise, more accessible and safe. Elementary schools, high schools, and even colleges and universities now have their own guidelines that they must follow to provide equal opportunities for all students, faculty, staff, and community members.

Misericordia University’s official website released a statement regarding disability services, “Misericordia University is committed to creating an environment where all are welcome and does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, educational process, or treatment of students.” They comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans Disability Act (ADA).

The University provides a wide range of eligibility to those who may have unique circumstances in which they require accommodations both throughout campus or academically. In light of the charisms instilled in the university, the treatment of those with disabilities is reflected by hospitality and justice.

Jill Nulton, an alternative learning program coordinator for the Student Success Center, assured that Misericordia University strives to produce an open and accessible state for not only students, faculty, and staff, but for those who tend to visit campus, as well. “Although Misericordia works very diligently to ensure that our campus is accessible to all, we are always looking for ways to improve our accessibility,” Nulton states.

As of 2023, the campus is equipped with at least one handicap-accessible entrance for all/most buildings – these can be recognized as the push-button door openers and ramps. Nulton suggests even more ways for the campus and community to become more inclusive. “Perhaps using handicap push-buttons or motion sensors on doors, using lever handles rather than round door knobs are just some ideas we can implement on campus.” It is key to keep universal designs in mind when outlining or updating any space.

Aside from keeping an open mind when creating blueprints, it is vital to include those who will be using the equipment themselves for their disabilities. Including individuals with disabilities in the conversation regarding what they need will aid the campus and community in making a more accessible and welcoming environment. “Disabilities don’t always have to be visible, so it’s important to do your research and be open to suggestions,” expresses Nulton.

Although Misericordia University is dedicated to achieving a proper and plentiful workspace for its students, there will always be challenges that must be overcome. Throughout the first few weeks of the fall semester, the entirety of Northeastern Pennsylvania was hit with devastating storms resulting in housing, facility, and overall campus damage.

Dormitory/facility buildings like Alumnae/McGowan Hall received some of the worst damages. When speaking to Jill Nulton, she explained the state of the elevators and what the plan was going forward. “Due to the extensive damage the elevator suffered from flooding, we were told it could be up to 13-14 weeks until the elevator can be repaired.” For students and faculty, the elevator may not be repaired until mid-January or the early spring semester. Nulton recognizes the challenges this brings to campus as those who use the elevator within Alumnae/McGowan lose easy accessibility to not only dorms but also special services within the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) and the Student Success Center (SSC). Both of these offices happen to be located at the bottom of Alumnae/McGowan Hall, making it challenging for students to use the stairs due to the lack of elevator service.

“Although this is not ideal, Misericordia University officials are working closely with the elevator company to get the repairs done as quickly as possible.” Nulton is hopeful, along with her fellow colleagues, that the repairs will be completed by the start of the spring semester or sooner if at all possible.

For further updates regarding the state of accessibility around the Misericordia University campus, be sure to contact a designated authority who is well-versed in the disability or construction branch.