The student news site of Misericordia University

The Highlander

The Highlander

The Highlander

Green Bean the Unofficial Bodyguard of Cougar Prints

Misericordias+very+own+Green+Bean+strikes+a+pose+for+The+Highlander.+
The Highlander
Misericordia’s very own Green Bean strikes a pose for The Highlander.

Cougar Prints on West Center Hill Road has a feathery employee called Green Bean who works alongside Cougar Prints’ graphic designer Heather Outwater and Kate Hospodar who oversees apparel and promotional items.

Green Bean is a conure, a type of bird that originates from Brazil. He was found in the stair railings of Insalaco Hall last winter and looked like a fluff ball from being out in the cold.

Misericordia tried to find the owner through social media, but did not have any luck.

Green Bean has been a part of the Cougar Prints’ team since February 2022. He came with a bracelet on his ankle which shows he is legally allowed to be in America.

On Mondays and Fridays, he is allowed out of his cage all day before having to spend weekends in the cage. On the other days, he is usually out of his cage from lunch until everyone leaves for the day.

Green Bean is like a small parrot, mimics laughter, says his name and also mimics the printing machines. He loves to run around and throw things off shelves. He likes to take plastic cups off shelves and sit on computer desktops.

Dubbed the Cougar Prints’ bodyguard, he loses feathers every fall and winter but grows them back in the spring. Green Bean eats mixed bird seed with dried fruit, loves to eat sunflower seeds, but does not like fresh fruit or vegetables.

Outwater and Hospodar don’t know for sure if Green Bean is male, but believe he is due to his vibrant color.
Students are encouraged to stop by the Cougar Prints building to meet Green Bean.