A Curious Night in Lemmond: The Misericordia Players Take the Stage

(From left to right) Veronica Shultz, Derek Wadas, Riley Danielewicz, Cody Palubinsky, Logan Padden, Alana Hadden, Jacob Thomas, Olivia Fiocco, Dan Nudo, and Megan Guziewicz

Emma Blakiewicz, Multimedia Editor

The Misericordia Players made their fall debut last weekend in Lemmond Theater with “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,” a play adaptation of Mark Haddon’s novel, written by Simon Stephens.

The story follows 15-year-old Christopher Boone (Logan Padden), an autistic teenager caught in the murder-mystery of Wellington, the neighbor’s dog.

In all its fourth-wall-breaking glory, this play-inside-a-play journey to unmask the killer unmasks something of his own – the circumstances surrounding his late mother Judy (Alana Hadden) and things his father Ed (Cody Palubinsky) kept hidden from him surrounding her “death.”

Moderated by Siobhan, his primary school teacher (Megan Guziewicz), a witty drama ensues that had students and staff both laughing and crying in the span of three hours, with the fate of little Wellington hanging in a constant balance.

Director Scott Woolnough was pleased with the play’s debut.

“There was a big turnout and I am thrilled to see the community coming out to watch our production,” said Woolnough. “The cast and crew worked hard on this one and it’s nice to see that it is paying off.”

Though the play has earned its fair share of controversy and has had its namesake banned in some circles due to foul language and a few scenes that allegedly promote atheism, it proved a roaring success at Lemmond Theater.

But the Misericordia Players aren’t done with the year just yet.

“I don’t know if I can advertise this yet, but every year we do a play in the fall and a musical in the spring,” Woolnough said. “And we do have a musical in mind for the spring.”

He hopes “The Curious Incident” will inspire potential Players to participate in the spring.

“We need a big cast next semester, so we’re hoping a lot of people turn up for it,” he said,

Other cast members of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” include Riley Danielewicz, Jacob Thomas, Derek Wadas, Dan Nudo, Veronica Shults, and Olivia Fiocco as Voices 1-6, respectively.