STAF Annual Sock-Tober Event

2022 Students Today Alumni Forever Executives

Mike Gawlik, Reporter

For the seventh consecutive year, Misericordia University’s Students Today, Alumni Forever (STAF) organization will host its annual Sock-Tober event.

STAF is a student initiated organization started by Misericordia Cougars who put a focus on philanthropy during their education. Misericordia’s STAF organization prides itself on doing its part in making the lives of those in need easier to manage.

One of the ways STAF carries out its mission is by conducting Sock-Tober each October. The goal of this event is to gather an abundance of new socks to donate to people experiencing homelessness in shelters in preparation for the cold and harsh winter season approaching.

Mike Gombita, assistant director of alumni engagement and advisor for Students Today Alumni Forever, is currently overseeing students’ take on Sock-Tober.

STAF started its sock drive, one of the organization’s most successful and significant events, in 2016. The event is widely recognized on campus and provides a sense of joy for those involved.

“The one thing that we noticed when we originally started was that homeless shelters don’t offer socks to people who are homeless,” Gombita said.

While many residents within the shelters are provided with other forms of clothing, socks are an essential garment often overlooked by donors.

When asked why STAF continues to conduct Sock-Tober year after year, Gombita made it clear that STAF’s mission is to educate and engage the campus community about how it can make an impact on those in difficult situations, both within the local area and beyond.

This year, STAF is partnered with the Mission, Ministry, and Service Department at Misericordia which serves the university’s mission of educating the student body on Christian values, morals, leadership and good decision making to guide everyday life. Both STAF and Mission, Ministry, Service organizations participate in Sock-Tober as a way to put Misericordia’s Sisters of Mercy values into action.

Sock-Tober has been an event that catches attention from the study body and truly produces a great outcome as all past events have been a huge success.

Gombita said Sock-Tober has always been popular with students involved in the organizations, as well as the general Cougar population, both on and off campus.

Gombita spoke highly of the students in STAF who run Sock-Tober stating, “Students take on every aspect of the Sock-Tober event and I’m certainly proud of them taking the initiative and being able to organize and distribute it.”

Donations can range from dropping off a new pair of socks in Banks or making cash donations or electronic donations through Venmo. With all financial donations, members of the STAF organization go to the local Dollar General to purchase new socis.

Gombita realizes it is difficult for some students to purchase socks due to their inability to travel off campus. STAF combated this issue by providing the opportunity for both cash and Venmo donations to make participating in the event more accessible for all students.

Last year, STAF donated 507 pairs of new socks to local shelters near Misericordia. STAF collected $213 from Venmo, another $85 in cash and 81 brand new pairs of socks donated by students.

The STAF organization’s goal is to get more than 507 pairs of socks to beat the numbers from last year and continue expanding its impact on populations in need.

Boxes in three locations – Banks lobby, Passan Hall and Mercy – are always open. Monetary donations may be sent during the month of October through Venmo to @mikegombita and cash donations can be made in Mercy Room 230.