Misericordia’s Color Run Makes a Return

2018 David E. Evan Color Run

Emma Blakiewicz, Multimedia Editor

The Student Government Association is returning from COVID times by hosting one of the university’s signature events on campus to conclude Family Weekend this year.

The 5K color run, started by Dr. Dawn Evans as a way to raise scholarship funds as well as awareness of mental health issues, was first held after her son, David, passed away by suicide.

David Evans attended Holy Redeemer High School at the time of his passing on April 11, 2014, where the scholarship is offered to students in good academic standing applying to Misericordia.

The community was quick to act upon the news and give to the Evans Family which, in return, put forth the scholarship fund for their late son.

“After the Holy Redeemer community did so much for us, we wanted to do something for them. It was a way of keeping his memory alive,” said Dr. Evans.

Traditionally held in April at around the time of David’s passing, the event, held by the SGA with Darcy Brodmerkle as advisor, has been going on for eight years.

“Student Government played a huge role in making this event happen, and we’re hoping to make it bigger than ever,” said Brodmerkle.

The color run has raised over $21,000 for student scholarships and mental health awareness in the local community. Annually, the run raised a couple thousand dollars in pre-COVID times.

Although donations from the community were enough to fund incoming students who applied for the scholarship, the pandemic made a huge dent in moving the run forward.

Now held at the end of Family Weekend on Nov. 6, the color run makes its triumphant return to campus. Brodmerkle and other members of the SGA are excited to see a signature event returning after a huge delay. The run will include basket raffles offered by the community, feature giveaways, and prizes for runners who have what it takes to win. There will also be informational tables featuring local organizations such as AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) on important topics like substance abuse and other mental health issues.

“I am excited and I hope this will take off in the community,” said Dr. Evans, who looks forward to seeing the run in action once again.

The run will be held at 10 a.m. Nov. 6 with 9 a.m. registration and a t-shirt waiting for those who apply before Oct. 25. Cost is $20 per pre-registered runner and $25 on the day of the race.