First Few Weeks as a First-Year Student

Brenna+Smith

Brenna Smith

Brenna Smith, Reporter

Now that a few weeks have passed, it is time to talk about the highlights of my experience here at Misericordia as a first year student. Overall, my experience has been very welcoming and pleasant, and I hope the same can be said by the other first year students here. 

Having the four day orientation before school started was a big help, and yes, I remember not wanting to attend events sometimes. However, I am glad I did because it was a great way to make new friends and memories. I actually miss the crazy events put on like the talent show, art show, game show, and hypnosis show. Thankfully, another talent show is happening for Homecoming. The orientation was also a great way to keep us all too busy to think of our parents. 

One thing I have noticed about Misericordia is that there is a lot of door holding. People hold the door for me when I leave my dorm building, and when I enter Banks or the Henry Science Center or Mercy. Then I hold the door for others in return. It is just this ongoing cycle of holding doors, and yet it is a simple gesture that makes Misericordia so much better. It makes it more like a home. 

I came into college having certain expectations. I expected not everyone to be nice. I expected pounding on the bathroom door if I was taking too long of a shower. I expected it to be a little difficult to start over socially, but I am glad to say that my expectations were way off. Everyone I have met has been nice. Not one person has ever pounded on my bathroom door, and I have met some awesome people already. 

Speaking of awesome people, it would not be the Misericordia experience without the presence of the most optimistic and enthusiastic person I have ever met in my life roaming campus every day, so thank you Rory for the constant smiles. I still remember going to breakfast one morning in Banks around 7:20, and I see Rory walking around saying hello to everyone. I also remember wondering how he had that enthusiasm at 7:20 in the morning. However he did, and I am grateful for it because it reminds me to be more enthusiastic about my life. 

Something else I am grateful for is our beautiful campus. One day, I was walking to class and looking at all the trees in the sunlight with the pretty blue sky with white puffy clouds above, and I felt lucky to be at Misericordia. I feel lucky to be at a place that is so beautiful when the weather is nice. I feel lucky when I walk straight from McHale to Mercy in the morning with the trees along my path. I feel lucky when I walk into the modern Henry Science Center. I feel lucky to listen to the music playing outside of Banks as I walk to class. Overall, I feel lucky to be a part of something as special as Misericordia. 

Misericordia is not just a college in my opinion. It is a community, and that is why I chose it in the first place. I love the small class sizes because it is easier to get to know people that way. I also love the one-on-one conversations I can have with my professors. I have enjoyed all my classes so far, and all the professors here are very caring. I really feel like they want me to succeed as much as I want to succeed.

Campus Life has put in a lot of effort to create fun activities for students. I have loved going to some of the events such as desserts late at night in Banks, petting dogs outside of Banks, doing goat yoga (more like petting goats), making Boba drinks, eating cookie dough, making smore’s, drinking blue lemonade in a bag, and many more activities. Their activities during the first week were especially fun to attend. Having a group of people create these awesome events for us really adds to the college experience. 

The numerous service opportunities here at Misericordia are impressive too, and I recently went to a food bank for the Child Hunger Outreach Partners. It was a fun experience and a great way to meet new people, so I recommend giving at least one service project a try. 

Going to sporting events has also been something fun to do with others. I went to the first home football game, and it was nice to feel the school spirit in the air while I was also holding up a cougar paw. Watching the cheerleaders do crazy stunts and the football team score points made it an even better experience. I have also checked out a women’s volleyball game which is very impressive to watch because they are all very skilled. I especially enjoy how the announcer says “Point Cougars” very enthusiastically, and then they will be as dull as possible when announcing a point made by the other team. Women’s field hockey is also fun to watch too.

Overall, my first few weeks as a first year student were a blast. There have been ups and downs, but the ups have definitely outweighed the downs. I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year, and I hope all the first year students are doing well with the adjustment to college life. Roll Cougs!