Pop Up Career Carts

Samantha Midkiff, Reporter

From right to left: Tiffany Wiernusz, Coordinator of Career Development, Bernie Rushmer, Director of Insalaco Center for Career Development (ICCD), and two students interact with the ICCD’s pop-up career cart on Mercy Hall’s third floor.

Many people have heard of trendy temporary “pop up” shops for fashion and home goods, but The Insalaco Center for Career Development is using the idea to help students receive career services. 

ICCD is best known for the Guaranteed Placement Program, but other services and workshops are available for students, even those not enrolled in GPP. To inform more people about what ICCD offers, staffers will bring services to students on a new blue cart.

Bernadette Rushmer, ICCD Director, and Tiffany Wiernusz, Coordinator of Career Development, decided to offer pop up carts around campus to gain more exposure. After hearing about similar ideas at  professional conferences, Rushmer and Wiernusz are trying it their own way.

The cart will offer different types of items each time it makes its rounds, including workshop schedules, appointment dates and treats, depending on the time of the year. The cart will offer multiple educational activities, too. For example, it will offer  resume reviews, job interviewing skills, and even hand shaking exercises to help students practice proper hand shakes to use when they meet potential employers. 

“Sometimes it’s just about the conversation,” said Rushmer.

Rushmer explained that even stopping to say hello can make a student aware of the services and workshops that the  ICCD makes available.

“We encourage faculty as well,” said Wiernusz.

They believe having professors involved and informed will eventually attract greater numbers of students to the Career Center.

Rushmer and Wiernusz are open to suggestions to help grow awareness of their new cart.

They plan to use it as often as possible,  starting  either weekly or biweekly. They hope to reach out to many students by ensuring the cart is available in multiple areas of campus.  Students may spot the cart in Mercy Hall, Banks, the Science Building, and many other campus sites, Rushmer said.