Running Wild With Jen Mathiesen: Koziar’s Christmas Village

As you reach the bottom of the hill on Christmas Village Road you see possibly the most dramatic view of the Village.

Jen Mathiesen, Web Editor

A much-needed winter break is heading our way. (Less than a month away, people!)

I felt for this issue I should start to get into the holiday spirit. I mean, most stores have already begun stocking the shelves or decorating for the holidays. If you follow the Starbucks Red Cup controversy, you know the holiday season is coming. We will soon say goodbye to pumpkin spice and welcome the reign of peppermint everything.

I traveled to Koziar’s Christmas Village, located at 782 Christmas Village Road, Bernville, Pa. – just 90 miles from campus, so about an hour and 45 minutes away. (I know that sounds rough, but this place is extraordinary. Few destinations compare).

Koziar’s Christmas Village is open Friday through Sunday until Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving through January 2, the village is open seven days a week. Make sure to double-check the hours of operation. Parking is free, and the admission price is $10 per person.

To get to the village you travel along some back country roads, and as you come over the last hill you see a brilliant sight. The big barn and other buildings at Koziar’s Christmas Village are decked out in dazzling, vibrantly colored lights. It seems almost as if you stepped into another reality. More than one million Christmas lights adorn the landscape, barns and other buildings.

The Christmas Village is celebrating 68 years of seasons’ greetings. It all started in 1948 when William M. Koziar began decorating his home and dairy farm property for his family’s enjoyment. The private display opened to the public and has grown significantly each year. The seasonal attraction draws visitors from far and near and is recognized as a “must see” holiday attraction.

The tour is unguided. You can walk the village at your own pace and stop any time you want to take a photograph. The Christmas Village features illuminated buildings, including the Koziar family house and dairy barn, as well as several other buildings that include exhibits of large dioramas depicting scenes such as Raggedy Ann’s Ice Cream Shop, Christmas Beneath the Sea, Santa’s Post Office, and much more. The Village also has multiple gift shops where you can buy a range of things: child’s toys, souvenirs, Christmas ornaments and other seasonal objects.

The Village’s mesmerizing lights and holiday items will, without a doubt, put you into the holiday spirit. You can even visit with Santa Claus, located at his headquarters on Santa Claus Lane. There are refreshment areas located in several locations throughout the Village. There are snacks and hot beverages. We got ourselves some hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies – a perfect snack to warm us up and let us continue on the lighted path.

My suggestion is to arrive at the Christmas Village near the opening time. This will, hopefully, enable you to avoid any long lines that may develop. The village did have a good number of people in it when we ventured through, yet it was still very enjoyable. My second suggestion is to dress according to the weather conditions. Make sure to bundle up if need be. There isn’t a more miserable feeling than being frozen while exploring!

Get a group of friends together from campus and make the trip, or over winter break take your family out to Koziar’s Christmas Village. Walk around the beautifully lit and decorated property and be amazed by all of the displays. Even take a stroll across the Kissing Bridge, which – now be careful – requires you to kiss your partner to cross! Koziar’s Christmas Village was well worth the drive and the time spent. I can only imagine how stunning the village would be with snow in the air or on the ground closer to the holiday season.

The firehouse is a sure favorite for all and is filled with fire trucks, Dalmatians, and Nutcrackers.
Each year more is added. This year an entire Reading Railroad train display was added.