Running Wild With Jen Mathiesen: Frances Slocum State Park

+The+park+has+13+miles+of+trails+that+go+in+many+different+directions+and+offer+many+different+attractions.+

Jen Mathiesen

The park has 13 miles of trails that go in many different directions and offer many different attractions.

Jen Mathiesen, Web Editor

This fall’s burst of color has reached its peak, and the foliage is beautiful and eye-catching. A lot of the leaves have fallen and the majority of the rest will begin to drop in these coming days. Although I wish the fall season would last forever, we will be on our way to another cold winter season. We have already had to endure some crisp mornings.

A perfect place to admire the leaves and their beautiful colors, as well as a great place to relax, is not that far away from campus.

Frances Slocum State Park, at 565 Mount Olivet Road in Wyoming, is just a little over five miles from campus. Getting to the state park is actually very simple. With just a few turns you should arrive at the park entrance within fifteen minutes.

Frances Slocum State Park consists of a 1,035 acre park in Luzerne County. Also in the park is a 165 acre lake, which is shaped like a horseshoe. This is a man-made lake, which was originally designed to reduce and control flooding.

Frances Slocum State Park is open every day of the year, contrary to what Google says. However, park offices, pools, beaches and campgrounds follow have specific hours and seasons of operation. So to be sure to look at the state park website or to contact the park office directly.

Before I tell you about my adventure at Frances Slocum, I would like to share a little park history that I did not know. I never would have guessed that it was named after someone born in 1773.

The park is named for Frances Slocum, one of 10 children of a Quaker family. In 1778, Frances was kidnapped by a small group of Delaware Indians. She spent the first night of her capture in a rock shelter, which is believed to be in the state park boundary.  The Delaware Indians took Francis as moved westward, and she spent the rest of her life with them.

Visitors can still access the rock shelter where Frances rested by walking the Frances Slocum Trail. Speaking of trails, the park has 13 miles of them. The lengths of the trails range from a quarter of a mile to the a little over three miles. Each trail offers various views and environments. I walked on the Frances Slocum Trail to see the rock shelter. I also hiked on the Lake Shore Trail, which like the name implies, takes you around the lake.

This park is a haven for wildlife. In the diverse environments a visitor can see critters ranging from great blue herons to white tail deer to other beautiful species of birds, fish and wildlife. I saw several different animals, plants, and in the gorgeous fall season, a lot of colorful leaves.

The great part about Frances Slocum is that it has so much to offer. Like fishing. The Park’s 165 acre lake is a warm-water fishery. The lake is open to the public for fishing, to those who have the appropriate licensure, of course. Fish species in the lake include catfish, pickerel, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, and stocked trout. The lake is also open to boating – electric motor boats and non-powered boats only. (Make sure to check before bringing your own boat though, as you may need permits and registrations.) There is also a boat concession that rents rowboats, paddleboats, kayaks and canoes. The prices were fairly reasonable and would definitely be worth the time and money.

I found Frances Slocum State Park to be very serene and calming, an adventure that definitely helped me get through my hectic school week. Although the majority of the leaves have fallen, the park is still breathtaking.

Whenever you need a reality check, go spend some time outside. Mother Nature has an extraordinary way of reminding you to stay humble, grounded and grateful to be alive.

Grab some friends or just yourself and hop in the car and take the short drive to Frances Slocum.

Junior health care management/pre-DPT major Arielle Kneller gazes over a map of the park while navigating through the stepping stones. The stepping stones lead over marsh lands in the middle of prime hunting grounds.
Senior communications major Courtney Garloff and Austin Sullivan walk over one of the bridges on the Upper Deer Trail at Frances Slocum.
The fall foliage has reached its peak and is very colorful.
Tyler Bartron views the beautiful fall foliage while sitting on a rock overlooking the lake just off one of the trails.
Two ducks float near the shore line of the 165 acre horseshoe shaped lake that surrounds the trails of Frances Slocum. Frances Slocum is a 1,035 acre state park in Luzerne County.