Captain’s Corner

Mike Diacunczak, Columnist

Samantha Miller, senior flyer for the cheerleading team, was one of the three people to be named captain for the 2018-2019 seasons. Alongside co-captains Emily Wenrich and Samantha Olcott, Miller is looking to lead the program to another successful year.

Miller comes from Coplay, Pa. and attended Whitehall High School. She has been cheering competitively since 2003. With so much experience under her belt, she knew it was destiny to cheer in college. Luckily, Miller decided to choose Misericordia.

As lucky as the cheer team is to have Miller, she believes she is just as fortunate.

The first impression I had of the program was when I was touring the school and my tour guide said the cheerleaders are really great people. This program is unlike any other I have been a part of, each member of the team is so positive and caring. If I ever needed anything I know any one of my sisters would be willing to help,” Miller said.   

With many recent achievements for the squad, including making finals for traditional routine and the top five in the nation in 2014/2015, one of the biggest accomplishments the team has had was the runner-up placement in the 2017 UCA National Championships Game Day Competition. This competition allowed the teams to display game-time traditions and material against squads from all three NCAA Divisions. The Cougars got runner-up position, only placing .4 points behind Division 1 California Poly State, who became National Champions.

Miller believes  this achievement gives the squad confidence heading into this year, and it spurs them to set their goals high.

“This year we hope to make finals at Nationals again for traditional routine, and we hope to continue excellence in the Game Day routine as well at nationals.” 

Miller and the rest of the Cougars do a lot, in both the cheer uniform and the community. The squad raises funds for local charities by sponsoring events. Events include the Cougar Cheer & Dance Challenge, Cougars for a Cure, and the Go Pink campaign. The whole squad is proud of what the team can do as contributing community members in addition to student athletes.

As time is ticking down for Miller, who is in her final year wearing the Cougar uniform,  she realizes how time can fly when you are having fun. She wants to let her current, and soon-to-be former, teammates know that.