Senior Softball Player Will Continue Leadership

Ryan Coyle, Sports Reporter

Amanda Butera has always been a player to lead by example, but she has learned, throughout her college career, how to use her voice.

Butera, senior softball player and early childhood/special education major, is one of the respected leaders of the softball program. Now she is carrying the leadership skills she learned on the field into the classroom as she prepares to become a teacher.

“There are so many similarities between being a good leader and being an educator,” she said. “The most evident similarity is being a good role model. To be a role model in the classroom is no less important than being a leader in the dugout and on the field.”

Butera, who is also the former MAC Freedom Rookie of the Year, said she learned countless lessons from her days on the softball diamond that she is going to take with her as she prepares to educate the future of America.

“The most important thing I have learned throughout my college career is what it means to be a good teammate,” she said.

She added that knowing how to collaborate with other people in a respectful manner is a key to success, and her softball experience has taught her those critical lessons.

Butera said smaller, behind-the-scenes tasks also contribute to effective leadership.

“I pride myself on trying to do the little things that need to happen in terms of leadership, even when nobody’s watching,” Butera said.

Butera credits Lindsay McCarthy, Head Coach, for making her a better player, person and leader.

“Coach McCarthy has taught me an endless amount of lessons in these short four years, but if I had to pinpoint one thing it would be hard work. I always thought I was a hard worker until I got to college and realized if I want to be good, I need to outwork the girls next to me,” she said.

She said softball has been a blessing, and without the valuable experiences and lessons the game, her coaches and teammates have taught her, Butera said wouldn’t be the person, or teacher, she can be today.

She hopes her future teaching career will position her to become involved in coaching one day.

“I have always thought about being a coach after I graduate college. I have so much love for this game and I’m unsure if I could give it up completely,” said Butera.

Amanda Butera, senior softball player and early childhood special education major, gets ready to hit the ball. (Courtesy of Misericordia Athletics)

She said she wants to  pay forward the lessons Butera’s coaches have given her.

She wants to reward her coaches as well as her teammates for all that they have done for her throughout her time as a Misericordia Cougar.

“At this point, I am unsure what the season is going to look like, but I am hopeful that there is going to be a championship in the picture,” she said.

She said bringing back a championship trophy to put in the case in the Anderson Center would certainly be the icing on the cake for a great career. Whether or not that happens, Butera is prepared to lead her future students.

“I have always loved helping those around me grow, so education presents the perfect opportunity for me to do so,” she said.