MU Hall Of Famer Comes Back as Interim Coach

William+Chandler+

William Chandler

Melanie Quintanilla, Multimedia Editor

William Chandler, MU’s own basketball hall of famer, is now interim head coach of the men’s basketball team.

After working as an assistant coach, Chandler steps in to take the spot of Trevor Woodruff, who just recently left to become the women’s basketball head coach at the University of Scranton.

“I am very excited. I have been the assistant coach for six great years under Woodruff, and I have learned a lot. It is also very exciting to be able to coach at the school I graduated from,” said Chandler.

According to Director of Athletics Charles Edkins, Chandler is “most definitely the right person to lead this program.”

The players also feel that Chandler is a good fit to be their new interim head coach.

“Our current team members were excited when we announced that Will would be assuming the head coaching duties. That excitement is carrying over as they get ready for their first day of practice and the 2015- 2016 season,” said Edkins.

Chandler has always been an important member of the basketball program, whether he was a player on the court or an assistant coach guiding the team.

“I have been a part of this program for ten total years playing and coaching. This program has come a long way from when I walked on campus in 1999 until now and I am glad to be a part of it. This program put me on the map as a player and it developed me into the man I am today. I am very grateful to say I played basketball at Misericordia University,” said Chandler.

Edkins believes that coach Chandler is a “true Misericordia person. He had a fantastic playing career here as many know, but the piece that impresses me most about Will is his genuine care for Misericordia University and the student athletes. Will is a charismatic gentleman, which means he is a person who displays the values which Misericordia is based on.”

Edkins also said that Chandler is able to build strong relationships with players he recruits and with those he mentors as their coach.

As assistant coach, he has guided the team to two conference titles and NCAA tournament appearances. Edkins said Chandler’s responsibilities are now even greater.

“There is a significant difference between the assistant role and a head coaching position. Coach Chandler is now ultimately responsible for the success of the basketball program both on and off of the court. He is expected to recruit and retain good people, students, and players that will be the right fit for him and Misericordia. Chandler is a highly competitive person and will get the very best from his players,” said Edkins.

Chandler said that he loves to recruit players and he also enjoys “helping the student athletes be better men on and off the court.”

Chandler said having the experience as a past player has shaped him.

“I feel being a former player helps you a little because everything these student athletes are going through, I have done already, but coaching is far different from playing. My job now is to prepare our team every day and put the team in the best possible position to win,” said Chandler.

The team will transition well, Chandler said, since players are familiar with him and his style of coaching. But he cannot promise that there will not be any bumps in the road.

“Being the interim head coach or not, every coach runs into problems throughout the year, but I have been around the game long enough where I will adjust and get over any bumps in mine or the team’s way,” said Chandler.

One immediate challenge facing Chandler is the loss of some very important seniors from last year.

“We have a great group of men and we are all looking forward to the challenge,” he said.