Swim Team Looks to Start Season with Splash

Arthur Dowell, Web Editor

Second year head swim coach Matt VanderMeid’s goal is simple: to stay on top.

The men’s team had its best finish in school history with a second place finish in the Mid Atlantic Conference. The women finished in third place. Both teams look to capitalize on the their strength and hope to win the MACs at season’s end.

VanderMeid is optimistic about both team’s chances of meeting his season goals, including making it back to the MAC Championships.

“There was a high level of dedication to the preseason workout plans we had in place,” he said of both of his squads. “There are a lot of leaders on this team.”

The men’s and women’s swim teams did individual workouts when swimmers returned to school in August, including cross training that took place both in the pool and in the weight room.

Junior Dana Hallam feels that the team is off to a good start even if they haven’t competed yet.

“There isn’t a negative aura around the team this year,” she said. “Everyone is very positive about the upcoming season and it shows all around.”

Many members share the positive outlook. Junior Peter Kolokithias said he expects everyone will go into each meet with winning on their minds.

VanderMeid said there is nothing Thomas Scott cannot do well in the pool and he expects to see his potential grow.

Senior Matt Essington and Kolokithias have been named captains for the men’s team. Seniors Brittany Luzick and Beth Karmondy will serve as respective captains for the women.

“We are to lead by example as captains,” said Kolokithias. “We like to set our goals high so the team follows suit.”

The upperclassmen took it upon themselves to show the underclassmen the teams’ workouts and morals. They do it to make the swimmers more comfortable with one another by season’s start and competition time.

“We are together all the time from September until February,” said Hallam. “We want to make sure everyone is on the same page and comfortable around one another to help make the experience of the season more enlightening.”

Kolokithias’s personal goal is to finish in the top eight at this year’s MAC Championships. He set a school record in the 200 free last year.
The men’s team will be looking for much of the same success without senior Douglas Ranson, who last season won his second MAC title in the 100 and 200 meter breaststrokes.

Last season, sophomore Christopher Gleason broke the school record in the 400 Individual Medley with the time of 4:12.10. success from MACs where he, too, broke a school record with the time of 1:46.11 in the 200-free- style.

On the women’s side, senior Bree Grzech looks to continue her dominance that led her to a school record and MAC title in the 100 meter backstroke competition last season.

Blass looks to continue her early success of two records in the school books for the 200 individu- al medley and 100 breaststroke.

The squad, consisting of Grzech, Hallam, Blass and Luzik, hope to break the school record for 200 free relay as they fell .07 seconds short during competition last year.

The team is set to open the season at home against Widener University Oct. 18 in the Ander- son Sports and Health Center.

[email protected]