Colleagues Remember Dr. John Kachurick

Courtney Garloff, Editor-in-Chief

The university is grieving after the loss of Dr. John Kachurick, who passed away Oct. 17 at age 70 following a brief illness.

After serving in the army, Kachurick worked in the newspaper industry.

Fred Croop, Dean of the College of Professional Studies and Social Sciences, met Kachurick, a reporter who helped found The Citizens’ Voice newspaper, before the two worked together at Misericordia years later.

“I was in a position that made controversial decisions, and he interviewed me and did not agree with those decisions, and because of that he sent my story out on the wire and made it national news,” said Croop.

Croop, who would later become Kachurick’s boss, said Kachurick was a true lifelong learner, a curious and principled man.

Kachurick  earned degrees from King’s College, Wilkes College, and College Misericordia. He also received his doctorate in business administration from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

“He was always learning something new, like a new computer program for one of the three computers in his office, and more recently he was learning about his three drones,” said Croop.

During his 30-year career at Misericordia, most recently serving as an Associate Professor of Business and Organizational Management. Kachurick had a great impact on the campus community, from his inspiring teaching style – he famously required students to follow a professional dress code  – to his passion for service.

“The word that comes to mind when I think of John is impact,” said Croop.

Kachurick once arranged a fund to help faculty and staff members pay the cost of university service trips to Guyana because he wanted his colleagues to have the experience. he approached the university president and funded 2-week trip to allow faculty to go without leaving their work and families for an extended period of time.

“The creation of this trip allowed a nursing professor to go on this trip, who, while on the trip, met a student from Guyana who needed surgery and medical care. She was able to come home and coordinate his travel to the United States and his surgery, saving his life. None of that would have been possible if it wasn’t for John,” said Croop.

Kachurick was also a valued colleague and friend.

“I was always able to rely on him, and he was my mentor in the true sense of the word and was always helpful to everyone,” said Dr. Corina Slaff, Chair of the Department of Business and Director of Business Graduate Programs.

Both Slaff and Croop agreed that, no matter what, Kachurick always made his students his top priority.

“During one of the last conversations I had with him, he told me to do what I had to do to do right by his students,” said Slaff.

A memorial mass was held in the university chapel Oct. 29.

Gifts in memory of Kachurick may be made to the Dr. John L. Kachurick Sr. Memorial Scholarship Fund at Misericordia University, Development Office, 301 Lake St., Dallas, PA 18612.