No Spare Change: A Guide to Getting Rid of Those Leftovers

Felicia Glover, Columnist

Here’s a guide to getting rid of leftovers!

I know Thanksgiving was a hit: You got to eat turkey, watch football games, and spend time with  family and friends.

I also know is when you visit your families’ homes, you are loaded down with leftovers, especially if you are a student home for the holidays. They pack the deliciousness in bags, containers or foil.

I know you can get tired of eating turkey but here are a few things that you can do to spice up those leftovers and make good use of what you bring back to campus next fall break.

First, call up your friends in the residence halls and have a mini back-to-campus feast.

How much fun it would be for everyone to pitch in some leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner, especially if you have a half of turkey that your aunt Tina packaged away for you.

I had a ton of leftovers this year because I hosted Thanksgiving for the first time. My family came up from Washington D.C., and I cooked like I was feeding 50 people!

Instead of turkey, I roasted a chicken. I cut the chicken up to pack away for my family as they departed, and then I put half of the remaining chicken in a slow cooker. I used the corn we had as a side for dinner and some onions and celery I had from the stuffing and made chicken soup. I added other seasonings and spices and whipped up a quick dish that will warm the soul on a chilly night.

I didn’t use all my leftover roasted chicken for soup. I created an Alfredo using the chicken and some other ingredients, but what remained was the love that was in these meals.

I also had some leftover potatoes that I didn’t mash, and I threw them in the slow cooker as well. I froze the soup after It was done cooking and cooled. This soup can be reheated and be great for meal time during finals week.

Soups are hearty and always remind me of home, so I was happy to store this meal away for a cozy day.

Now, we also had some glazed ham and leftover biscuits.

I cut up the ham and made some ham turnovers. I froze the unused biscuits and ham so I can pop them in the oven and have a quick ham and cheese snack later.

Leftovers also make a hearty breakfast. I took some slices of ham and cut them up in semi cubs to make omelets. What a hit!

I have always wondered how my mother made leftovers taste like a brand new. creative meal.

With my curiosity I always explore new recipe ideas and holiday leftovers offer the best time to mix it up.

Now, there have been some fails. One year, I tried to make pumpkin pie cookies. Fail. There was also that one year when I tried to use the leftover mashed potatoes and made a shepherd’s pie. and I forgot to add the other ingredients. Fail.

Whatever the case may be, every year I forget  how we to remake the flavors of the traditional meal and make new favorites in the later weeks.

Thanksgiving is a time of coming together, and, honestly, every time you reheat a plate you are revisiting that shared moment.

This year, I not only felt great about cooking for my family and laughing around the table; I was happy to create meals for my family right here in Dallas!

Do not be afraid to explore new recipes with some leftovers.

Also do not be afraid to start new traditions in college.

Interact with new traditions, eat new foods,  explore new towns, or take a friend home with you next time!

Let your friends laugh at Uncle Buck’s wacky jokes. Share some of Nonna’s famous cookies.

Let me know how you concocted a new desert with cookie crumbs.