Running Wild With Jen Mathiesen: Delaware Water Gap

Jen Mathiesen, Web Editor

Now that we are finally experiencing spring-like temperatures, it is time to take the jackets off and put some shorts on. Spring thaw has begun and the first flower blooms are popping up. I don’t know about all of you, but I could not be more excited to get out and do a different type of adventure: the kind that involves water like swimming, fishing, going to a water park or canoeing.

We were blessed with beautiful weather this spring break and at home in Stroudsburg I took advantage of what nature has to offer right in my own backyard. We headed out to the Delaware River located in the breathtaking Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area. This area is approximately an hour-and-a-half away from campus. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area is comprised of 70,000 acres that welcomes those who seek to explore. It offers a large array of recreational activities.

Hikers can enjoy the more than 100 miles of trails that provide astonishing views along streams, valleys and mountain ridges. Fishermen can cast out into waters in hope of catching large fish.

Boaters can drop their canoes or kayaks into the Delaware River, which flows for about 40 miles. History lovers can travel the 100 miles of scenic roadways viewing historic villages, structures and natural elements. Campers can revel in one of the numerous campgrounds. Nature enthusiasts can check out the many habitats and species of animals as well as wander the trails of several waterfalls. Anyone and everyone can enjoy the Delaware Water Gap, whether you make it a day trip or plan to make it a vacation.

My adventure started as soon as we walked out the door of my house. First we had to get our canoe secured on the top of my Jeep. While that may sound easy, it isn’t always, as I am quite vertically challenged. Thankfully my boyfriend Tyler was able to do most of the lifting and I just was, ya know, supportive. After that was handled, we headed to a local deli and picked up some hoagies for our journey down the river.

One thing to remember is there is nowhere to stop for food, so if you are, without fail, a hungry person like I am, pack a big bag of snacks. Also, unless you plan on drinking the water from the river (which, I don’t really recommend) do yourself a favor and pack some drinks as well.

During previous river trips, we have taken two vehicles and parked them at separate locations, one at the start point and the other at the end point. This time I wanted a shorter trip.

Some river excursions can take a few hours. So we put our canoe in the river in Portland,  a quaint little town that has a perfect little opening to get in the river. We paddled up the river a ways and used the current to float back to the launch, which only required us to sit and steer. On our way back, we stopped on the side of the river at an open area and had a picnic with the deli hoagies we had picked up earlier. When it is a bit warmer, you can go swimming in many places.

After we returned to the launch, we loaded the canoe back onto my Jeep, well Tyler did. I stood back and supervised once again, offering unnecessary input.

Remember, you don’t have to own a canoe or kayak to go down the river. There are several rental locations. You can also get a bunch of tubes or rafts and float your way down lazy-style. Whether you go hiking, camping, fishing or canoeing like I did, you will be sure to have a blast.

The Delaware River Viaduct is a reinforced concrete railroad bridge across the Delaware Bridge, more popularly known to the locals as the Alice in Wonderland Bridge.
Mathiesen kicks back with her feet up while floating back to the boat launch.
Flowers have started to bloom in a garden near the Delaware Water Gap. Rocks denoted where bulbs were growing so they were not stepped on.