Fashion Digest: Stylin’ and Profilin’ : Female Professors Dressed Sharp

Lena+Williams+

Lena Williams

Lena Williams, Columnist

Two issues ago, I wrote about three male faculty members who dress very well, so it would be a crime if I did not write about the women! Due to the history of how women are perceived and treated in our society, fashion still is a form of expressing who we are and who we want to be. Prominent designers in the fashion world, such as Coco Chanel and Diane Von Furstenberg, created pieces of clothing symbolizing women’s strength and confidence (The suit! The wrap dress!). Even though I chatted briefly with these women, I sensed strong-willed characteristics in all three.

The first person I would like to introduce you to is Dr. Melanie Shepherd, Associate Professor of Philosophy. I asked why she likes to dress nicely, and she said she likes to look presentable in front of her students. Next, I asked where she shops. She said that she likes shopping online, especially on Nordstrom’s website because of the free shipping, free return policy! Lastly, she shared the lowdown on her staple pieces of dresses and red shoes: They add a pop of color to any neutral get-up.

The next person I interviewed was Dr. Elisa Korb, who is Assistant Professor and Chair of Fine Arts. Many of you may recognize her name from her recent success on “Jeopardy!” The reason behind Dr. Korb’s sophisticated style is the fact that she wore a uniform in Catholic school. She also feels that her style arose from the unspoken competition among females to look good. She often shops at stylish, moderately priced clothing stores such as Zara, an H&M-owned European store called COS, Target and Old Navy. Dr. Korb said her staple pieces are mostly black, and she puts an emphasis on shoes and accessories. She told me that she acquired that fashion tip from

her grandmother. Her grandmother always said, “Get really inexpensive black basic pieces, but shoes and accessories are what makes the outfit.”

Last but not least, I chatted with Dr. Corina Slaff, Associate Professor and Chair of Business. She said she dresses well simply because she enjoys doing so, and it’s not due to her European roots – even at a young age she dressed herself her way. For the most part, she shops on online. However, she enjoys going to department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom. “I do not necessarily focus on the retailer but the brand that suites my personality,” said Slaff.

She tends to gravitate towards accessories because she believes that “accessories make the ensemble.” When I walked into her office, I instantly noticed the many rings and bracelets that she was wearing. Slaff spoke about one ring in particular, a family heirloom that was made for her mother-in-law. It’s also her husband’s birthstone, she said.

Just as I did when I interviewed the men, I asked all three if they would make it mandatory for students to dress well for class every day. Surprisingly, they all said no! Even though it would be appreciated if students put more effort into getting dressed for class, they said they understand the casual culture of college and why the majority of students tend to dress more comfortably. They agreed that students should be able to express their individuality through their sartorial choices. Korb said students should definitely care about their hygiene, but sweatpants are fine!

Dr. Elisa Korb  Assistant Professor and Chair of Fine Arts
Dr. Elisa Korb
Assistant Professor and Chair of Fine Arts
Dr. Melanie Shepard Associate Professor of Philosophy
Dr. Melanie Shepard
Associate Professor of Philosophy