Poetry Reading Draws Students

Annette Ritzko, Reporter

Students, faculty and community members shared their poems on topics ranging from nature to love. Some were comical while others tugged on the heartstrings.

Students and faculty attended the poetry reading in the Founder’s Room on Oct. 28 to share their art, gain moral support, and even get some extra credit in their English classes.

English professor and poet Dr. Matthew Nickel organized the reading. He had hoped the event would provide a creative outlet to anyone who appreciates hearing and/or writing poetry.

“This semester, I’m teaching a course called “The Craft of Poetry.” I wanted my students to read a poem, and I also have a lot of other students and there are others at Misericordia University who love to read poetry. It’s a great way to bring people together who appreciate poetry but may not know each other and to foster a sense of community,” said Nickel.

More than twelve people shared poetry, some sharing more than just a poem. Almost everyone who attended enjoyed scones, pastries, and various coffees and teas.

“I love poetry and I wanted extra credit in my American Literature class, which I have with Dr. Nickel. I also have something prepared for tonight. My family and I always used to go to my grandfather’s cabin when I was little, so I wrote about that because that was a good part of my childhood,” said Mary Pat Blaskiewicz, a freshman secondary education English major.

“I am taking Professor Nickel’s Craft of Poetry class, and he wanted his students to read a poem. The poem I’m reading tonight is one of the poems I wrote for class. The title is ‘The Soldier,’ and is a quick walk-through of what soldiers do from sign-up until end,” said Rebeka Buczeskie, a senior history pre-law major.

Jeremy Kuba,  freshman occupational therapy major, said he was encouraged by the diversity of people in attendance.

“I’m excited to hear people who aren’t in the English department present and see how good their poetry is. My poem is called ‘Contagious,’ and it’s about my ex-girlfriend and I’m interested to see how people will find it,” said Jeremy.

Others came to not to read, but to listen.

“I came here to listen to my fellow classmates and also to add to my experience. I’ve never really been into poetry, so I thought I could try it out and listen to some,” said Katherine Seaberg, a freshman English writing major.

“I came to this poetry reading because my good friend, Jacob Schweiger, will be reciting his poetry and I really wanted to

support him. I also had hoped

tonight would be fun,” said Mark Seewald, a sophomore Psychology major.

Dr. Patrick Hamilton, Associate Professor and Chair of the English department, said Dr. Nickel arranged a positive environment for young poets who may feel self-conscious about sharing their work.

“I think, very often, students are somewhat reluctant to share their own writing, so I believe this will provide a very comfortable and relaxed environment to share their work,” he said.

After the last poem was read and the last scone was eaten, it was time to end the night. Many left the reading satisfied and happy.

“Tonight was a confidence booster, and I would definitely come to another one of these readings because I love poetry. My favorite part about tonight was being with my poetry class classmates,” said Sierra-lynn Krohnemann,  sophomore English/doctor of physical therapy major.

“I think the poetry reading was a rousing success to see that everyone enjoyed it and got to read whatever they want. I probably would come to another one of these readings and I just really enjoyed seeing everyone having a great time,” said Jason Hauze, a sophomore English major and communications minor.

Jacob Schweiger, junior philosophy/doctor of physical therapy major, read his poem “Cross of Responsibility,” which is about how everyone has a responsibility to humanity to be the best they can be.  He said the best part of the event was the artists sharing their art.

“The entire event seemed to be an excellent way of connecting both students and professors. The highlight of the night was seeing so many faculty and students together in one place doing something they love,” he said.